Chromium-based browsers and skype problem on Pisi 2.1.2 (SOLVED)

szines
Katılım
: 20-05-2020
Mesajlar
: 4
15-10-2021 08:28 #1

Hello!

I have a problem with chromium-based browsers other than the 81 based ones. I use chromium 81 from the package manager. It is working perfectly. I can make the google-chrome 81 from contrib to work only if I replace the config folder of google-chrome with the chromiums config folder. Otherwise it is just a white blank screen. Unfortunately, I cannot do this with later google-chrome/vivaldi or other chromium-based browsers. All will show up with a white blank screen (with some colors here and there, but nothing relevant). If I delete/rename the file called libEGL.so or libGLESv2.so or both, the browsers came alive with normal looking, but I suppose that these libs are mandatory for harware acceleration because when I want to use google meet and want to change the background it says that hardvare acceleration needs to be turned on even if it is turned on in the settings.

What can I do? Thank you in advance!

szines
Katılım
Mesajlar
22-10-2021 17:47 #2

Not any idea?

I have updated skype from 8.64.76.47 to 8.76.76.70 from contrib repository and is happening the same thing as with google-chrome. When I opened it, just a white image opened. Links in the background are present and working, but the rendering is completely white. The same thing happens as with google-chrome. I downgraded skype back to 8.64.76.47.

What might be the problem? Everything else is working perfectly.

szines
Katılım
Mesajlar
23-10-2021 18:02 #3

I have found the solution for both with working acceleration (so I can have a background in google meet). Strange is that it looks like skype is in fact just a chromium-based browser for skype web? Because the same solution is working for both.

The problem is solved if I start the chromium-based browsers and skype with the commandline switch --use-gl=desktop

For google-chrome
google-chrome-stable --use-gl=desktop

For vivaldi
vivaldi --use-gl=desktop

For skype
skypeforlinux --use-gl=desktop

I found the solution from here:
https://superuser.com/questions/1298927/chrome-is-displaying-only-a-white-screen-but-its-clickable-not-frozen
https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/

scrollup